Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:43:24 -0500
Hi Barbara,

This problem is initially caused by the manufacturer providing various
programs of it's own in addition to other programs such as certain Microsoft
and other branded programs in a package designed, in their opinion, to offer
a degree of protection and provide a 'ready to use' computer off the shelf.
Some of these programs may be trial versions which function for a limited
time, then you are required to purchase a license to continue its use.
Anti-virus and Internet Service Provider programs are typically 'trial'
versions. Then, you add to the list and compound the problem when you
install programs of your own choosing.

The pre-installed programs may serve a purpose (protection and experience
using the program, etc.) to the novice user with his first computer, but to
the experienced user, most are nothing but a pain. So, as a starting point
for cleaning up the Start Menu, I would start there. Go to Add or Remove
Programs in Control Panel and uninstall all programs you don't use. If you
don't use a particular program now, but think you may use it in the future
and have it on disc, uninstall it. A side benefit to this is it will speed
up the computer somewhat by stopping unnecessary programs and services from
starting and/or running in the background.

Next, you can consolidate some of the remaining programs. If you have
several similar programs from the same vender (Microsoft, HP, Compaq, etc.)
you can create a folder for all them. You can do the same for programs you
install. For example, I have a folder for several "Microsoft" programs, one
called "Sven's Stuff" and another named "Sven's Games". To create a new
folder, right-click a blank area of the Desktop and select "New", then
"Folder". Name the folder. Right-click and drag the new folder to the Start
button, hover until the Start Menu appears and drag it to "All Programs" or
"Programs". When the programs list appears, drag it there and release the
right-click. Select "Move Here" in the menu that appears. Now, using a
left-click drag, drag and drop the programs you want into the new folder.
You can arrange the program list alphabetically at any time by
right-clicking any entry and selecting "Sort by Name".

As has been mentioned, the programs listed on the Start Menu are shortcuts
so you can move, copy, paste, create another shortcut, etc., without
affecting the program itself. Also, most, if not all, program shortcuts on
your Desktop are duplicates of ones on the Start Menu. You can 'cleanup' the
Desktop by deleting those unused duplicates or move them to the Quick Launch
bar for quick access.

Sven Swanson, Sr.
The NoSpin Group, Inc.