Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:49:05 -0800
On 28 Aug 98 at 9:34, Helen Luther wrote:

> I'm need to add some Microsoft .avi files (e.g. when you do a file copy
> in explorer you get a flying files .avi file) to some of my VB
> programs..... however, I can't seem to find copies of them anywhere on
> the net on on my pc.

  Those aren't .AVI (audio-video interleaved) files, played using the
Media Player.  They are .ANI ("animated cursor") files.

  [This confusion is not your fault.  Win95 introduced a new
"animation control", which should be supported in VB5.  I've found
text, both on Microsoft's MSDN CD and in Pietrek's [not like him to
make a mistake, hmmm] "Windows 95 Systems Programming Secrets",
saying that this control will play .AVI files (but no details about
HOW) -- but I've also found articles in the MS KnowledgeBase
describing behaviour when this control is used to display a .ANI
file.  I don't use VB, but I've found one document which suggests to
me that this control may appear, in VB, as a variant of the Button
control.]

> 1.  Does anyone know how Microsoft (Windows 95) stores its avi files (in
>   a dll perhaps?)
>     How do you extract these files or what OS dll can I use to make
>   a call for display of an avi file?
> 2.  Where can I get just the avi files?

  .AVI files are in a complicated compressed format -- and still
often run to several hundred kilobytes.  [You may be more likely to
find them on CD-ROMs than available for download.]  .ANI files are
basically a group of bitmaps.  They are packaged as a resource
(data-only) DLL, as bitmapped fonts and cursors are, or an
application may have these resources bundled into an executable or a
DLL that also includes code.  [One of the Knowledge Base articles
indicates that binding the animation resource into a module which
contains other code/resources makes it kind of very difficult for any
other application to steal that animation.]

  I've seen several books about doing multimedia by embedding the
Media Player in a VB form, but I don't have one handy at the moment,
and I don't think that's what you need.

  I found both an "animation" project and "ani tutor" available for
download from "Randy's VB Page" at

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/3145/vb.html

David G