Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:02:51 -0400

Are you giving away an old computer of yours? If so, I can see why you want
to make sure all of your private data is cleared off the drive. A few
suggestions come to mind where the casual user will not be able to retieve
the info.

Three free downloads (as part of a trial period) of software that should
help in your case.

Crap Cleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ does a good job with a lot of stray
info that you normally would not look for. It will do a fairly good job of
cleaning out old registry entries of uninstalled programs, invalid shortcuts
and internet history. It will also delete .log files which contain histories
of almost everything (often overlooked)

Ace Utilities http://www.acelogix.com/aceutils.html has a lot of the same
functions. While no one utility does everything, Ace has an added feature
called "Secure Erase" that will delete files and overwrite them several
times. It will also wipe free space (time consuming). I'm sure if someone
wanted to be able to resurrect old files from the HDD they could with the
right tools, but again for the casual user this will probably do.

Window Washer
http://www.webroot.com/consumer/downloads/?WRSID=52d104d9665478aaf8a706c1e24
2915f is another good utility for cleaning out history, temp files and log
files.

My suggestion would be to run one of the utilities at a time, then reboot
and do a disk defrag between each step. The more times you overwrite the
files on the HDD, the better. I would wipe the free space each step as well
(at least one pass each time) just to make sure.

Again, while nothing short of beating the HDD with a hammer and scattering
the bits in several states will ensure that no one is able to retrieve your
info, a concerted effort using these utilities will help to put your mind at
rest. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Chris Ryan
E-Mail: