Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kathleen Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:41:41 -0600
I am a professional web developer and I have built over 120 sites using
FrontPage (after having built sixty or so with Notepad and then WebEdit).
Not one of my sites runs on a server with FrontPage extensions -- I do
everything that might require them using CGI scripting or other readily
available tools.

As a native Montanan I try to use local ISPs as much as possible, but I host
about fifty on a reseller account at Aitcom -- http://www.aitcom.net --
their server is generally reliable and their tech support pretty responsive
(which is as much as you can nicely say about any server).  That means I can
offer hosting to my customers for $20 per month, which is a very good price
these days.  Keep going...

From: Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>

>I have been writing web pages for quite awhile and the biggest issue most
>people encounter writting web sites is the lack of knowledge of basic
>HTML.  Although Frontpage is an above average software package
>for creating web pages, very few hosts at this time support Frontpage2000.

FrontPage 2000 has some sweet features, but again, you really don't need the
extensions to build a web site with it.

>Most web hosting services that support Frontpage have the
>Frontpage98 extentions installed, since FP2000 is just bearly
>out of the beta stage.   It does have some interesting new features,
>but Frontpage98 will do everything you will need while starting out.
>
>Frontpage extentions simplify creating, uploading and managing
>a web site.  Prior to the Frontpage concept you would need a
>good FTP program to upload pages and then  knowledge
>of Unix or Linux to install them, synching them together.   Still,
>even with a program like Frontpage, I highly recommend a solid
>Knowledge of HTML, so you can cure issues that crop up while working
>with Tables, Forms, Java applets, plugins and so forth that Frontpage
>does not always handle correctly.

True.  Why is it that nobody ever tells my brother the doctor that they want
to do surgery when they get some time?  I've been on the Internet for going
on ten years and have built sites since 1996, but a lot of folks think they
can just buy some off the shelf software and build a web site.  You CAN, but
whether it's effective for marketing is all another matter.

>Frontpage simplifies building web sites.  That is the biggest reason
>for using it, that and it simplifies creating web pages.  When you save
>the finished web page to the host site, done in the same manner you
>would save a Word Document to your hard drive, Frontpage uploads
>the web page, all the graphics and associated files.  It synchs the
>URLs on the site in one easy motion.   Working on an existing site
>like The NOSPIN Group, is a very simple matter with the Frontpage
>extentions.

You don't need server extensions to upload and I NEVER use the Publish
feature because it doesn't allow you full control over the files you put up.
KISS FTP is a good solution, as is FTP Voyager.

>Creating your own web site can be a lot of fun and quite satisfying...
>after all, I have been tinkering with http://nospin.com for years and
>still enjoy it.  :-)

I still play around a LOT...

>I recommend you check your local ISPs and use one of them for
>web hosting.  It makes it easier to contact them if you have problems
>and typically you will find out more information about them than a
>company far away, such as their financial health and their growth
>potential.   You can also easily visit their network operations center
>and physically see their setup.   A company hundreds of miles away
>could represent themselves as a big firm and turn out to be a 16 year
>old boy with a server in his closet on an ADSL connection.

Exactly.

>At 08:56 AM 6/25/99 , Dick H. Fredericksen wrote:
>>For what it's worth, StarNet (the ISP plus online edition of the Arizona
>>Daily Star) advised its commercial customers not to use MS Front Page,
>>because StarNet will not run the server-side Front Page extensions. They
>>claim that there is a major security issue (some hackers can get the
>>extensions to do things they're not supposed to do), and in addition
>>there's a performance issue. "With around 10,000 users, if even a small
>>percentage of all those people use the Front Page extensions on their
page,
>>it would make the computer noticeably slower. If the computer slows down,
>>that means it takes longer for web pages to appear. If it gets
particularly
>>bad, it can cause the computer to crash."

It's amazing they stay in business with this attitude.

>This is not necessarly true.  The Frontpage extentions can be on a Linux
>machine and run quite smoothly without issues of performance hits; and,
>a highend web server, can handle the NT version just fine.   The server
>handling NOSPIN.COM is a Dual PII-450 with 512mg ECC ram, NT and the
>Frontpage extentions.   Currently the server handles quite a few
>commercial sites with no performance issues.  As far as security,
>that is a matter of the System Administrator and his knowledge.  Server
>software is only as good as the person running it.  Personally, I would
>not want our domain with a service that put 10,000 users on one
>server.  A quality web hosting firm should be able to supply numerous
>servers and split the users to different machines.

And they do.

Kathleen Ely
Web Diva for the Helena Independent Record and the Montana Standard
http://www.helenair.com and http://www.helenau.com and
http://www.mtstandard.com
Personally located at
http://www.lehnherr.com

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]