Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Michael Heavener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 18:02:48 -0800
I had the same problem with PageMaker 5.0a (which is a Windows 3.x
application).

Adobe's only offered solution was an unofficial Windows 95 version 5.0(b)
from their download site (not web site) -- or upgrade to 6.0. I skipped
both and went straight to v.6.5 (which came out last December).

Fortunately or unfortunately, I was laid off just at the transition and had
to experiment on my own nickel (and had to justify the expense of the
upgrade -- I've never regretted moving to v.6.5, then 6.51, and now 6.52)

As you indicated, PageMaker 5.0 was really the only application which had
this problem.

I discovered two things trying to troubleshoot this.

1)      If you had both TrueType and Type 1 (PostScript) fonts, the ones with
the same names will act weird. One or the other (never figured out the
pattern), or sometimes both, will NOT show up in any type dialogs. And
thus, not be usable or accessible.

WFW 3.11 didn't care and displayed all fonts -- Win95 is more frustrating
and displays only what IT wants displayed. William Stephenson gave a good
explanation in his reply.

The most obvious workaround is to delete both versions of the same-named
font, reboot, and reinstall the Type 1 version. Had miserable luck until I
discovered the reboot in the middle.

I use the Type 1 versions of duplicate fonts exclusively because of known
problems with Mac-based Linotronic service bureaus. If high-end output
resolution isn't an issue, or if you don't have Adobe Type Manager for
Windows 95, use the TrueType versions instead.

And William's suggestion to uninstall and reinstall PageMaker in Win95 is
an excellent second step, but do the fonts first so the PM installer can
use what it finds.

2)      If the PageMaker file was created in an earlier version and then
converted to version 5.0, you have a 50:50 chance the publication's font
table may be corrupted when opened in the Windows 3.x of PageMaker running
in Windows 95.

I know of NO workaround. I dragged individual elements into a real PM5
(new) publication, deleted the older file, and reinvented the elements I
couldn't access. I still run across older pubs on my hard disk -- I just
delete them (knowing they will or already have converted corruptly).

Michael Heavener

At 01:11 AM 2/14/98 -0500, Don Kendrew <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>A new interesting problem has occurred while upgrading from WIN3.1 to WIN95b.

<snip>

>        Main problem is that fonts will not show up in the principal
programs of
>Pagemaker 5.0 and Word 6.0, however when using the text tool in Photoshop I
>am able to type text into an image in a font of choice without problem.
>
>        Some fonts can, and others cannot, be accessed when using text
tool in a
>new Pagemaker document. All previous saved data displays type as single
>lines, and overlapping. . . and. . .will not print properly.
>
>        Fonts show up in C:\windows\fonts, and when I double click on a
font it
>displays properly.

<snip>

Peace in Christ