Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kena Seguin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:25:35 -0500
Ethernet has two pairs of wires in a twisted pair setup: one pair for
transmit and one for recieve.

When you connect a bunch of machines together using a hub, the hub relays
all the information from all the Transmit pairs to all
the Receive pairs. That is, each machine sees on its receive pairs the
information sent on every machine's Transmit pairs. The
hub logically connects all the Transmit pairs to all the Receive pairs. I
say "logically" because this represents the information
flow. You can't physically connect all these wires together because all the
electrical signals would get messed up.
All you need, assuming both machines have an Ethernet RJ-45 connection, is a
cross-over cable. The cross-over cable works
only between two machines to connect one's transmit to the other's receive.
It's like a hub with only two ports.
You can

     A. Buy a cross-over cable (my choice)
     B. Make a cross-over cable
     C. Make a cross-over plug, so you don't have any wierd cables around.

Good luck,

Kena Seguin