Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:55:02 -0700
From: "Earl Truss"

> I was given an evaluation copy of Windows ME at a Microsoft seminar last
> week.  I've not yet tried installing it.  I've heard of some problems
> and I was wondering if anyone else has had these or any other problems.

***Their are minor problems doing an upgrade from Windows 98 and 98SE.
Setup goes well
and if your system is a PII with 64 or more mb of RAM and everything is
working then 99% of the
upgrades go flawless.  Their are some problems with sound cards (CL Sound
Blaster) and some Video
cards in standby but all in all it works on all of our PCs.

> No boot-to-DOS option causes some programs to no longer work as usual.
> Most notable example is PartitionMagic.  I've heard that you should be
> able to boot using the PartitionMagic Rescue Disk and use it that way.
> Does it work?  Is this a good work-around?

***I use PQ programs with Windows ME with the disks you create when
installing program on
Windows 9x.  It does not want to install on Windows ME.  If you use PQ
programs make sure
they are installed prior to upgradeing.  If you dual boot, PQ Boot Magic
works well if installed
on the Windows 9x partition.

> Problems running old DOS games without boot-to-DOS option?  I asked the
> question at the meeting but got a somewhat evasive answer.

***Most DOS games will work from the windows run command line but older ones
that require
DOS requires editing in the auto.exe file of the game, etc.

> Problems running Norton Anti-Virus 2000 on Windows ME?

***Norton has a patch for the Anti-Virus 2000 to enable it to work with
Windows ME.  Nortons other utilities will freeze
up the computer 99% of the time and they are working on a patch for them but
I do not look for
them to be out until late September or after.

All in all on most newer computers Windows ME works very well.  Some of the
older computers need driver updates,
BIOS updates and various other updates in order to run Windows ME
effectively.  If you have a fairly new (no more
than 2 years old) computer I would go ahead and try the upgrade.  If you are
not comfortable with maybe having to
reformat and reinstall Windows 9x then I would not attempt it.

Troy Mowdy
TLM PRODUCTIONS

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html