Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Noel Glucksman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:42:30 -0500
The following was sent to me by a friend in California this morning.

I pass it on to anyone who might need this information.

= == = = = =

Dear Infostations Subscribers:

Beginning early Monday afternoon Infostations has received a high volume
of technical support calls from users of Windows 2000 and Windows XP
systems. These result from a "worm" -- similar to Internet "viruses" --
that has begun to infect large numbers of Windows 2000 and XP systems
worldwide. This worm exploits a flaw in the Windows operating system
for which Microsoft has provided "patch" software. This worm has been
hitting hundreds of thousands of computers (or more) worldwide today.

This "worm" does not primarily spread through email in the way that most
viruses do.
Instead it spreads through the network connection that is established when
you connect to the Internet. Our primary telecommunications provider has
shut down the route through which this "worm" was spreading. However, if
you are a user of Windows 2000 or Windows XP it is critical that you install
the patch software provided by Microsoft to plug the hole in their software.
The patch, and instructions for using it, are available at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp
This patch is the only way to permanently remove the vulnerability from your
Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system. It is not currently believed
that older verisions of Windows are vulnerable, however this is not certain.
It is always a good idea to keep up-to-date with the Microsoft patches for
whatever versions of Windows you may be running. This worm has no effect on
non-Windows operating systems.

If your machine has been infected with this worm, the most common symptom is
random restarting of your computer whenever you are online. In order to stop
the restarts on Windows 2000 and XP machines, follow these steps:

Go to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then Services. Under
Services
find the Remote Procedure Call option, and right click then go to
Properties.
Under Properties, go to the Recovery Tab, and you'll see the "At first
failure..."
"At Second Failure..." issue. Change those to "Take No Action" or "Restart
The
Service" instead of the the default "Reboot the Computer" option, and you
should
be able to stay online long enough to download the removal tool and/or
Windows
patch.

A removal tool is available for download from McAfee Security at:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Whether or not you are experiencing symptoms from this worm, it is always
wise to make certain that you have the latest virus definitions from
your virus scan software provider, and to then run a scan on your system.

If you have experienced difficulty reaching our technical support staff by
telephone today, please be aware that we have been inundated with calls on
this
problem, as have the technical support services of most other internet
service
providers. It is likely that this higher than normal call volume will
continue
for at least the next day or two.