Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:08:06 +1000
Ed wrote:

><<I've been accustomed to temporarily disabling my antivirus and firewall
>software before going to http://update.microsoft.com (Microsoft Update
>Service) >>

That renders your computer very vulnerable to every sort of malware/virus
floating around the internet.

I've personally seen 2 computers on ADSL hacked in that situation within
less than 5 minutes--one was straight after a new install of XP followed by
a modem installation---which advised taking that same action before
installing the modem drivers.  What they failed to advise was to disconnect
the phone line before doing that. The brand-new unprotected computer
received its first virus within that 3 minutes.

Having received the virus before any a-v software could be updated, any
further updates were consequently blocked by the virus. Although AVG could
recognise it, it couldn't precisely identify or remove it. The only remedy
was a reformat and start all over again, sadder but much wiser.

Since then, I've religiously disconnected the phone line before disabling
any protective software and would suggest that to do otherwise is highly risky.

Unless there's a problem within the Microsoft site itself, it's quite
likely that your computer has been compromised. If that is the case, and
you happen to have caught one of the nastier malwares, any further updates
of your protection software might be rendered inactive.

I agree entirely with Russ's comments, and I think those figures are real
enough.  I seem to remember that Fred Langa or somebody tested that theory
a year or two ago by leaving an unprotected computer for several minutes
and checking what "net nasties" it had picked up. The 3/5-minute theory
seemed to be confirmed.

Zone Alarm Pro has a log of alerts where you can see if there is any
unauthorised internet activity going on, and you can identify its source
from within your computer.  I'm not sure whether the free version has this
function.
If you have been hacked, this may pick up something, even if your software
can't identify or delete it.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                 our special coffee cups and mouse pads
              with the PCSOFT logo...  at a great price!!!