Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:21:21 +1000
Loy wrote:
>She dials to
>her ISP and connects properly, then she cannot connect to any web page. >>

Dialup on W98 could be a real pain when it went wrong, which it was prone
to doing for no apparent reason. It relied on the old winsock.dll system
which is now archaic, being easily corrupted. To complicate matters, there
were several different versions of Winsock, and you had to use the version
correct for your system. Updated versions sometimes made things better,
sometimes not.  I think automatic updates could throw the system out of kilter.

I recall many wasted hours reinstalling all the dialup protocols, and don't
remember now the exact sequence.

It involved going into Control Panel/Network Connections/Properties, and
reinstalling the dialup protocols including "TCP/IP" and "Client for
Microsoft Networks". If you didn't uninstall/reinstall them the right way
you could get into quite a tangle.  For starters, check to make sure that
they are both ticked and not showing any errors.  Check them also in Device
Manager---I think you have to uninstall/reinstall them from there.

Sorry, but I don't now recall the exact procedure, and don't even know if
this is your problem.  If you are sure it is actually connected, the answer
may lie elsewhere, in the tangle of DNS and other settings.  Sometimes you
can appear to be connected but in fact all you are seeing is that the modem
is "connected" to your computer but not to the outside world.  My ISP used
to talk me thru the procedure quite well, but maybe today dialup/W98 is now
so obsolete that the problem doesn't often arise.

There's a very lengthy MSKB on the W98/dialup/Winsock problems (several of
them, actually). I don't know if they are still on the Ms pages under
dialup network. I have a copy of it. Email me direct if you need it and
I'll send you a copy. It's too long to repeat here.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>