Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:47:31 -0600
Hass writes:

"win 98SE contains 2 similar apps: WORDPAD.EXE & WRITE.EXE....
1- how come both apps are here and not one of them only?
2- is there a 'practical' difference between them?
3- is WORDPAD.EXE newer than WRITE.EXE ?
4- what things one app is capable of doing and the other is not?"

Actually, Hass, you probably also have Notepad.exe, so you have 3 of the
little devils.  4 if you also include MS Word.

No, you don't need all of them.  But I'm not going to tell you what each
one does.  The best way to learn ANYTHING about your computer is to try it
and see.  Find out for yourself, play around with each of these programs to
see what each one is capable of.  All I'll say is that, in ascending order
of facilities, they go in the following order:
Notepad, Write, Wordpad, Word.

But YOU are the master of your computer, only YOU know what your
requirements are, so you must decide for yourself which to keep and which,
if any, to delete.  As they don't take up much space, there's no harm in
keeping them all.

The only comments I'd make, which are not so obvious, is that Notepad has a
rather small limitation on the size of files it can open (64 kb I think
from memory).  On the other hand, the smaller the program, usually the
faster it opens.  Some have facilities for formatting (ie underlining,
italics, color and things like that) while others don't.

Personally, I don't use any of those programs.  There are plenty of
freeware programs available, depending on just what your needs are.  Just
look up "Text Editors"  on any good freeware site such as ZDNet, CNet,
Tudogs, etc.

Good luck.

Don Penlington

Visit my Web pages: http://members.xoom.com/donpen.1/
A horrible mixture of fractals, poetry, and free icons.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html