Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:09:53 -0800
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] Louder Mail Warnings

Ian wrote:

> Do you need anything special in the way of a mike?  I've got one of those
> pull-to-bits Microsoft things somewhere......oh, and also one of those
> teensy little things that clip on.

Actually Ian, I've never intentionally purchased a mic - I always seem to end up with one that's built into a
device. Right now I have one, for sure, in my Logitech Quickcam, and I *think* my monitor has one as well.

So I don't know any special requirements with regard to what type of mic one needs, but I'd imagine it depends
more on one's sound card capabilities. And, of this I'm not certain, but I don't think a mic even needs any
drivers as the sound card does all the work anyway. [A purchased mic may have its own drivers and setup
program (?)]

If you open Sound Recorder and click on Edit / Audio Properties, then look under 'Sound Recording / Preferred
Device', you should have at least one device that will record sound - if not, then I suppose you don't have a
mic. Give it a try - like me, you may already have a mic and don't know it!

If you do try Sound Recorder, I would go to 'Edit / audio properties / sound recording / preferred device /
Advanced' and move the slider for 'Sample rate conversion quality' to *Best*. That will produce better wav
files, but the trade-off is larger files and slower performance, which is kind of a non-issue anyway with
today's larger hard drives and light-speed processors. Once you create a wav, try farting around with it using
the 'Effects' menu - this is what makes the program cool! hth

Al Thompson

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com