Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:58:57 -0400
Peter, That is the wrong link. That is for older versions of Norton (2003).

Additional:
When getting rid of Norton, you have to "back out" the old AV installation
(Norton product or not) properly before upgrading. This is especially true
when switching from a Norton stand alone product or NAV from some
other Norton suite (component). All NAV installations are not created equal.
There are differences how and where they came from that makes this a harder
process than it "should be"...
Once done wrong, (or if something else goes wrong in the installation), you
have to  use the correct cleaner (or cleaners) from the Norton site.
(If you can get to the page listed below they list four that might be needed.)
They keep adding new version specific ones so a check at the Norton
site is definitely in order.
(The links are too long for pasting here, and look like they might be session specific.)
http://www.symantec.com/search
(I would give Document ID numbers, but incredibly, they did not find
their own pages when entered into the search engine <????>)
The search words used were:
    failed installation
which will eventually lead to a page titled
    Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
(A quick search for that particular page did not find it <????>)
This is the short link from TinyURL.)
http://tinyurl.com/btogw
(I hope the link above works, it just worked for me...)
That page is a good starting point and will lead you lots of other
places on the Norton site... (Bookmark it when you get there.)

When I clean Norton's, I go through their site with a fine toothed comb.
It is never a fast process, but I have always been lucky and been
successful in repairing it or upgrading it (if an upgrade was the original
goal).  Note that when modifying a Norton installation, it is necessary
to know "how" it was originally installed (from what program suite and/or
bundle) and use specific instructions that Norton has on their site about
"backing it out". This is necessary long before you find out you "might"
need their cleaner or cleaners. I wind up reading lots of their WEB
pages. (Is it worth it? Not if you want to make money doing it... <grin>)

Last time I cleaned a Norton machine (March 2005), it was a Dell-XP-Home
machine with the time limited NAV bundle the owner needed to upgrade to
NIS2005 (with NAV) and they got a bad dial-up download. That pretty much
"fried" the new installation, and Norton in general... One thing "bad" about Norton
products I've noticed is that THEY never seem to check the integrity (or validity)
of their own downloads.
This (at least in the somewhat recent past) INCLUDES being able to get bad
downloads of the Administrative definition files...

I brought that machine home and re-downloaded the program installation file on
my DSL (35Megs or so) and ran an MD5 against her D/L and mine and "proved"
they were different... Mine worked!! I do not remember being able to get an MD5
value from the Norton site for this D/L either. AND I would have been looking for one...

I know there is an MD5 hash listed on the same page as the Administrative D/L
for the defs, and REALLY should check them myself... (I have had this "problem"
once in awhile for at least several years...)  It seems like lots of other companies have
figured out how to self-check their downloads...   ;-(

If the upgrade (Norton Program) was a download, I'd look into checking the integrity
of the file downloaded as one of the first steps. (Or just re-download it.) It could be
part of (if not the entire) problem.

                                                         Rick Glazier