Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 17:12:27 -0500
From: David Hurst <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 4:43 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Windows Shutdown Hangs

> My machine consistently locks up when shutting down the computer.
> The process goes to that windows screen sayint its shutting down the
> computer... then goes no further.  Only way out is to kill the power
> and reboot..whixh always causes a scandisk to run before rebooting
> again and coming up to my normal desktop....
>
> is there a fix for this  ??
>
> thanks
>
> David Hurst

David,

Both Win 98 and Win98SE have problems on some machines shutting down.
Besides Norton antivirus.  Some other things to check out with Win 98 are:

1. There is a problem in Win98 also with shutting down,  check out this
Microsoft KB article to disable fast shutdown:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q196/0/08.asp

2.Another item that can cause shutdown to hang is corrupted shutdown
bitmaps,
or a corrupted exit sound file, but since you appear to have had this
problem since installing Win 98, this is probably not your problem.

3. http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q193/4/73.asp: Windows
98
hangs when if it contains an IDE hard disk using DMA

4. Microsoft recommends a bios upgrade or driver upgrade to fix this
problem.
They have a site that will help to diagnose the problem with APM:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot/apm98/apmnowake1.asp

If you are running Win98SE you can try the following:

1. New shutdown supplement for Win 98SE shutdown problems can be found at MS
KB article Q239887, this shutdown supplement also disables "Fast Shutdown":
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/8/87.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0

2. This website suggested by another contributor addresses the problems with
Win98SE shutdown, one of these might work:
http://members.xoom.com/Khephra/a/shtdwnse.htm

Hope one of these helps.

Mary Wolden

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's: