Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Wayne Copeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:53:12 -0500
If I read this right you created a "new partition smallest one allowed 39.2 MB call it E:" and then "Place the swap file on E:".  The largest swap file you can create is 39.2mb (the size of that partition).  You need at lease 160MB for your swap file if you want 2.5 * memory.  I would make the drive 170MB to allow for some overhead.

As for the rest of the Adobe stuff...  I'll leave that to others.

Wayne Copeland         |  (651) 297-3391
State of Minnesota     |  (651) 296-5745 (fax)
390 North Robert St.   |  [log in to unmask]
Saint Paul, MN 55101   |
          ------------------------------
Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those
 of my employer!

Ok Here are a couple of things up for review.
My Boss recently mentioned to me that he was having problems getting Adobe Illustrator on his laptop. It keep coming up disk space not available. And that was true his C: had almost no space left. So he asked me if I could fix it so it could be installed properly. Here is what I discovered. His HD had two partitions on it. Total drive space 4.3gig with a nearly edition of Windows98 on it. 64k of RAM. His C: was sized to just a little under 1 gig. and the remaining space was on his D:. I told him I might have to remove some junk or transfer it to D: just to get the program on it. He said give it a complete tune up if you can. So armed with a little knowledge and a chance to stoke an extra couple of brownie points come review time. I did the following.  Please give opinions on individual actions and overall opinion on the whole thing..

1. His C: was in FAT16 setting  used windows drive converter to change to FAT32, this actually freed up some disk space it took for ever and didn't find any programs that couldn't run on the FAT32 platform. Running this program defrags the Drive

2. Clean up MSCONFIG.

3. Deleted his Lotto Buster 2000 program ( I let the Boss Know ) and a couple of other junk programs. Freed up Disk Space.

4. Installed Partition Magic, and tell it to redistribute free space. It does he now has more than 1 gig of space on C: and I gig on D:.

5. Create a new partition smallest one allowed 39.2 MB call  it E: and push the CD to F:

6. Place the swap file on E: . Here is where I may not be in the right. When I was working in Virtual Cache it would not let me set the MAX RAM at 2.5x the total amount of RAM So I left MIN and MAX at 0. It works much faster but I don't know if that was a cool thing to do or not.

7. Set up Vcache and Boot Delay=0 tweaks. Those seem to work fine.

8. Install Tweak UI. Customize settings for Boss.Seems to work well.

9. Install Adobe Illustrator, All Goes well except for the Post script program that is used to talk to the printer. It only offers me 3 choices Acme 1, Acme 2, and Generic Post Script Printer. None of those are the printers that we use ,so it recommends the Generic as your choice . I load that but something in my gut tells me I need to tell it where my printers were and I did n't do it . I will take advice on that.

10. Do a test run on the computer with Adobe illustrator . First time it freezes. Second time and times there after no problem. I have not yet tried to print but I will tomorrow.

The laptop seems to work fine. I am worried about this post script program that comes with Adobe Ill. and have to admit I haven't had time to read the manual that will be later this week. Also the settings in the virtual cache ( swap file ) file MIN/MAX being at 0 give me pause but I haven't seen any ill effects. Don't be shy throw in your 2 cents worth.
Thanks,
 Brendhan Horne