Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:13:05 -0700
I'm the guest techie speaker in Anne's Computer Care class to which she
referred, and the instructions for rebooting at least once per day came from me,
after watching a lot of different people using a lot of different applications
on a lot of different machines.

A general instruction needs to be applicable to the majority of users, and/or be
harmless for the ones to whom it doesn't apply.  My "reboot once a day" rule
falls in that category. For people who choose to keep their Win95 computers on
24 hours a day, 7 day per week, it can do no harm to close all programs and
reboot once per day.

On the other hand, for 24/7 users, some of them *will* be using giant
resource-sucking applications, hours at a time, and for them, rebooting once a
day is a lovely piece of preventive maintenance.  (Netscape 4x and IE4x both
fall into the sucking resource category, if on and active for hours at a time.)

Anne's Computer Care class is a class specifically designed for novices. I am
always quite conservative in my dealings with novices, hence this instruction.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego