Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:18:07 -0500
At 21:37 22-02-98 -0500, Bob wrote:
>I don't understand why one should not use xcopy32. Would you explain?

Hi Bob

Raymond Chen ([log in to unmask]), the author of the Windows 95
version of xcopy, has posted about this program in the
comp.os.ms-windows.apps.utilities.win95 newsgroup. The following
(from several of Raymond's posts) is quoted:

<Start quote>

Don't run xcopy32 directly. Ever. Always run xcopy.
Xcopy.exe...sets up a few things and then runs Xcopy32 with the
appropriate settings...

If you are running in Windows mode, xcopy runs the 32-bit version of
xcopy32.exe.  If you are running in DOS mode, xcopy runs the 16-bit
version of xcopy32.exe.  (Yes, xcopy32.exe is two, two, two programs
in one.) If you look carefully, xcopy.exe is a tiny little program.
Xcopy is just a little front-end for xcopy32, which is where all the
real work happens... It was a mistake to give that other file the name
"xcopy32.exe".  I should've called it "xcopy.mod"...
Xcopy.exe is the only program you should run.

I was given five days to add LFN support to Xcopy...I did what I could
in the time I had...it was easier to add the /h option to the Win95
version than the DOS version. (The DOS version is written in assembly
language. The Win95 version is written in C.)....I had some time left
over, so I added /H and /K and /L and a few other switches to the
32-bit version.

If you are running in DOS mode, then only the DOS xcopy features are
available. Xcopy handles everything, *provided* you run it from within
the Windows 95 GUI. The /H and /K options are supported only in Windows
95 mode.

<end quote>

I gather that if you use xcopy32.exe by itself (not called by xcopy),
the switches may not be set up properly. Also, be aware that if xcopy
is run from a Win95 DOS prompt which has the box "Prevent MS-DOS based
programs from detecting Windows" checked in it's PIF, the xcopy 32 bit
switches will not function (no long file names, etc.).

Regards,
Bill