Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:46:33 -0700
On 2 Jul 2005 at 11:24, alan smith wrote:

> I've just purchased a digital camera so I'm new to computer camera usage.
> I've been told that JPEG is the best way to go. Can anyone recommend
> a good download program( preferably freeware ) that I can use??
> OS win2kpro, ram 1Gb. Many thanks for your help,  AL SMITH

  A couple of points:

> I've been told that JPEG is the best way to go.

  Many photographers would disagree.

  The primary benefit of JPEG is that it reduces the amount of memory needed
to store each image.  That was important when flash memory was still
expensive.  But when you can buy 1GB flash cards for about $70, it's not so
important.
  You pay for that compactness in two ways:

1.  It takes a second or two to compress and store each image.  On some
models, you may not be able to take another shot until this process
completes.  (SOME models can now queue up as many as ten shots for
compression, so this is becoming less of an issue.)

2.  JPEG compression may sacrifice some detail or colour fidelity in the
interest of smaller file size.  This is, for many, the cardinal sin.  You
absolutely want to capture as much detail as possible in the camera.  You
can discard some later in Photoshop (or the equivalent), but you can never
add it back if it wasn't there in the camera.  Most digital cameras offer
choices of resolution and file size; every serious digital photographer I
know sets these to maximum and never touches them again.

  That said, there are many decent cameras out there on which JPEG is the
best they offer.  Pros prefer RAW, or at least TIFF, but cameras that offer
those choices may cost more than you're willing to spend (yet...).

> Can anyone recommend a good download program (preferably freeware) that I
> can use??

  To download from the camera to the computer?  No.
  My first digital camera came with a download program, which seemed to work
fine until I upgraded to a larger flash card from a different manufacturer.
But that was when USB was still new.
  When I plug my newer camera into a USB port, it looks just like a flash
drive.  I can use Windows Explorer to copy/move the image files to the hard
drive.  This camera came with a program which includes download
capabilities, but I've never needed them.
  Of course, I don't usually plug the camera in.  Most digital cameras store
images on removable flash in one format or another, and I have a little USB
"card reader" that's plugged in all the time.  There are additional flash
card slots on my printer and on my USB-attached hard drive enclosure....

  If you were looking for a recommendation for putting your pictures online
for family and friends to see, I've been using a free account at flickr.com.

David Gillett

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>