Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:24:42 -0400
Diane Kroeckel wrote:
> I'm currently using a dial up modem.  I'm thinking of switching to DSL or
> Cable, or whatever it's called.  Can you tell me what is better or
> faster?  Any good companies to use?
>
> I'm using XP2.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Diane Kroeckel

Diane:
Here's a website that has a lot of useful information:
http://www.dslreports.com/

In spite of the name, they cover all forms of broadband -- DSL, cable
and satellite. Warning: It is a huge site, so be prepared to spend some
time there. Among other things, you can get a list of all of the
broadband companies that service your zip code.

I converted to broadband on June 1, and it has worked very well for me.
My ISP is earthlink.net, which I access through Time Warner cable. I
could have also kept earthlink using BellSouth DSL. My reasons for
preferring cable were:

1. For me, cable worked out slightly cheaper than DSL. In fairness,
BellSouth does offer an inexpensive DSL service, but it places limits on
speed and usage.

2. The telephone lines in my neighborhood were first installed in the
early sixties, and dialup service has never been all that great (44000
max). Likewise, the wiring in the house is forty years old. I was
concerned that achieving a usable DSL connection might not be feasible.

3. The cable guys were a lot more interested in my business than the
teleco -- I only had to wait a few days for installation, whereas the
DSL connection was quoted as several weeks.

4. I'm a Linux user. The cable company had no problems with that, but
the telco wanted me to install Windows just to make and maintain the
connection. FWIW, the whole installation took less than an hour, and
over half of that was spent running a cable from the drop point on one
side of the house to my office on the opposite side.

5. Connecting and disconnecting from the network is much simpler with
cable -- no sign on, no password, just turn it on.

Whichever medium you choose, be aware that your exposure to evildoers is
much greater on broadband than it is on dialup. I strongly recommend
that you buy a router device and install it between your PC and the
cable/DSL modem. Be sure to get one with a built in firewall, and make
sure that the firewall is up and running.

In addition to the providing a secure firewall, a router will allow you
to easily share your broadband connection with other computers. The one
that I use includes a wireless connection that provides Internet access
for my wife's MiniMac, and a third PC is connected via a network cable.
I have a Linksys router, but any of the name brand devices will work OK.
Check the office supply and computer chains, as they almost always have
some sort of special deal on them.

HTH, and good luck with your search. You'll find that it's well worth
the effort.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                     visit our download web page at: