Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:26:29 -0300
I used CleenSweep for many years with Windows 3x (still had my floppies till
recently!), but now I can do a better job of removing a program on my own.
If you indicated a any DLL or EXE file, for an example, in the old
CleenSweep, it would find the associated program and let you delete ALL
files associated with that program.  I know of no program that can do such a
complete job anymore and have stopped using any uninstaller program since
Windows 95 came out.  I put the question to the old DOS World magazine years
ago (I wish there was an online archive).  They said due to Microsoft's
changing of their programming tools (or some such thing), a program (like
the old CleenSweep) can not be made to check all files for an association
with a particular program.  The only sure way to be rid of all files from a
uninstalled program is to depend on the original installer to  correctly use
it's uninstall log or be very familiar with the program and it's files and
interactions with other programs.  Back to Norton Utilities...  I use
WinDoctor regularly FROM the installation CD.  Installation is not needed.
It does get rid of allot of stuff in  the registry and helps to show me
where files could still exist from a program on my hard drive.  Be aware
that running the program from CD will not backup changes before they are
made, be sure to have backups.

Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE:  Date:    Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:12:09 -0800
From:    Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone like Norton?

I thought I would throw this comment in. Norton had developed a fairly nice
uninstall program. Then Symantec decided to purchase the ForeFront
Technologies company that had the CleanSweep program. Although the Norton
Uninstall was a more reliable product (in my experience), CleanSweep was
better known. Unfortunately, Symantec decided to drop Norton Uninstall and
went with CleanSweep.

Has anyone found a reliable (and reasonably fast) uninstall program? On my
system with some 150G of files, it takes CleanSweep hours to scan, only to
tell me that it can't uninstall something!

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                       http://freepctech.com/rode