Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 00:15:39 +1000
><<I use  the CD's that
>came with this computer to reinstall everything>>

Therein lies the answer, methinks.  Sounds as if it's a manufacturer's
version of Windows, which aren't always the same as the genuine one
purchased direct from Microsoft.  And, if it's a major brand name computer,
those chances are almost a certainty.

It's highly unlikely that your service provider would insert anything
relating to McAfee or Nortons into your registry. Whilst they may well have
them protecting you at the service end, these protections are stand-alone
at the server's end, to protect you before anything even reaches your computer.

And whilst Tony is right in saying that a computer (if it is on ADSL or
cable) can be infected within minutes,  it's highly unlikely that Nortons
or McAfee would do this.  Whilst many may regard Nortons a-v as virus-like
in its intrusiveness, it's not yet descended to the category of invading
your computer from without.  So I don't think that's likely to be source of
your problem.

Peter's right---your new registry is sourced from the disk with which you
installed XP---which sounds as if it's not an original Microsoft
disk.  Very few which come supplied with new retail computers are.

Incidentally, not all OEM disks will give you the right to update or
download software from Microsoft.  For that, you need an authorised licence
No, which usually, but not necessarily, will have been supplied with your
computer.  That's how some lesser (read "pirate) manufacturers cut corners.

In any event, as long as you're not experiencing any ill-effects from these
registry remnants, such as error messages, I wouldn't worry about them. The
space they take up is miniscule.

A good registry cleaner such as JV16 Powertools might delete them, but you
wouldn't see any difference in performance.  I removed 148 dead registry
entries a few days ago, but can't see any noticeable effects whatsoever.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml