Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
generalstuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:33:49 -0400
Using only XP and not third-party software, you can write files on a CD and, if the CD is not filled up, add more files later (it doesn't matter if it is CD-RW or not, CD-RW just means you can ERASE what is on it, RECLAIM the used space, and write it all over again).

However, using only XP to to ADD more files to a CD, what happens is that what you have already written on the CD - the space you have already used, is lost and can never be reclaimed and the total size of the CD (its capacity) is shrunk by that much.  The data that was in that space, however, will be re-written, along with whatever you are adding to the CD, in the remaining space.  Everytime you ADD files to a CD using only XP, the total space (capacity) on the CD gets smaller (because any SPACE used before you add new files is lost).

You can see this happening if you right click the CD and select Properties, General (tab) and look at the space under "Used," "Free," and "Capacity."   When you add files using only XP, the CD CAPACITY will become smaller each time that you add more files to a CD.

Third-party software FORMATS the CD so that you can add files to a CD that already contains files without decreasing the total active space (capacity) on the CD each time you do so.

Using third party software when you add files, the "Used" space becomes larger, the "Free" space becomes smaller, but the "Capacity" remains the same, once the CD has been formatted.

Hope this helps,
Anna Summers

----- Original Message -----
From: Becky
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 3:41 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] CD-RW

   I have what is probably a very stupid question, but I hope you'll consider the source (very inept computer user) and give me an answer. So here goes...

I understand that when storing information on CDs that I can only use that cd one time. So if I just put a couple of files on it and take it out, I cannot reuse or add to that cd. Right???

Now, if I put in a new CD-RW cd and copy a few files onto it, can I put it back in at a later time and add to it?  For example, can I put a few of my grandson's baby pictures on a CD-RW and add the new ones my son sends me from time to time?  Will the first ones I put on still be there if I only select the new ones to copy?
 I use MS XP Home.  Thank you.

Becky Buehrer

                       http://freepctech.com/rode

                     visit our download web page at: