Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 10:07:04 -0600

> At 04:56 AM 1/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >A client has been given a Compaq Ipaq for Christmas and asked me to
> >tutor him in its use-I've never dealt with one of these
> beasts before.
> >He is a house painter who is contemplating using the device
> to make and
> >track appointments. He is not even remotely tech savvy.
> >
> >I find only glowing reviews on the internet, yet I find this
> thng to be
> >a cumbersome pain in the neck-The stylus interface in
> particular seems
> >very primitive, and the device itself is very slow.
> >
> >Does any one have experience with these devices and/or
> suggestions as
> >to how best to utilize them? Thanks.

I work for the IT department at my local university, and our Engineering
College has mandated the iPaq for a lot of their majors.  Our Computer
Science folks are really making excellent use of the iPaq as it supports
embedded visual basic.  Our students find many uses for them as well,
including recording lectures, and wireless email.  We have over 300
units out, and are expecting a lot more over the next year or so.

Personally, I have been using the iPaq for about three years now
(currently have the 3950 model).  It is great for jotting down quick
notes.  Notes can be in the individuals own handwriting with no
conversion.  I sync to my outlook and keep all my contacts, and
appointments available where ever I go.  With third party apps, like
Pocket Lock, you can keep secure files that may include account numbers
and credit card numbers.

The 3950 has an integrated slot for a memory expansion card, which is
excellent for backup, or music if you are traveling.  I find battery
life is fair, but not the best on the 3600/3700 series.  The 3900 series
is a lot better, and actually has an additional jacket that a long life
battery can be used, and swapped when it gets low.  There are also
external batteries that can be purchased as well.  I used to carry a zip
disk, or floppies between home and work, but now use my iPaq as a
storage medium instead.

I think technology is just on the edge of a real good thing here.
Within a few years, I can see that portable units like the iPaq will be
real important.  If nothing else, it will get your client used to the
interface and ready for the next major development.  Dell is also coming
out with a similar pocket pc, and at a much more competitive price.

Regards,
Dan

                       http://freepctech.com/rode