Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:53:38 -0400
Hi Tom,

Just recently I had occasion to try and recover some files.
For the benefit of other readers I compiled a list of more than a dozen free file recovery programs.
This list is by no means complete but will help someone I guess.

I didn't list any shareware ones, since many of them don't let you download without payment
and the ones you can download are usually crippled. They let you find the files, but won't  let you recover them.
Some of the ones listed do have a pay version.
They often find more files or file types, but I don't know if recovered files are actually of usable quality,
any more than the free programs that find fewer files, but are usable.

Over the years, I did not find that using them will do any harm.
The crucial point in all this is NOT to use (run or install) it on the drive that lost the files.
When you have a loss of files ,especially many files, stop using this drive altogether.
Don't install anything or run any programs, so the lost files don't get overwritten.
Anyway ,several of the sites listed have devoted a page to describe all this.

1.Avira UnErase Personal
http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/11/avira_ntfs4dos_personal.html

2.SoftPerfect File Recovery
(below Easeus Data Recovery Wizard on the webpage)
http://www.softperfect.com/products/filerecovery/

3.EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition 5.0.1
http://www.easeus-deletedrecovery.com/
http://www.easeus-deletedrecovery.com/features.html

4.Glary Undelete
http://www.glarysoft.com/gun.html
(part of Glary Utilities as well)
http://www.glarysoft.com/gu.html  or
http://www.glaryutilities.com/gu.html

5. NTFS Undelete
http://ntfsundelete.com/

6.OctaneSoft eData Unerase
http://www.octanesoft.com/data_recovery_free_edition.html

7.Pandora Recovery  (free version has limited recovery features.)
http://www.pandorarecovery.com/

8.PC INSPECTOR File Recovery
http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1
9.Smart Recovery
http://www.pcinspector.de/SmartRecovery/info.htm?language=1

10.OfficeRecovery  -free Undelete
http://www.officerecovery.com/

11.Piriform Recuva
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

12.Roadkil's Undelete
http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P28/Undelete

13.Tokiwa Data Recovery
http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/dr.html

I did not include Restorator from Brian Kato. (also listed as Rest2514)
In the first place ,it was already mentioned ,but also because this program is quite old and an orphan.
The author's website is no longer there ,nor has there been any development on it for years.
It does find a decent number of deleted files ,but restoring them is painful ,especially for multiple files.
You can only restore one file at a time. No Ctrl or Shift to select  sets of files.

I also didn't list Linux compatible or CLI (Command Line Interface) ones.

My personal favorites are #14 Tokiwa - it found the most files.
others are #12 Recuva and  #8  & #9 PC Inspector's File Recovery and Smart Recovery -they do have a bit of a quirky
interface ,but find lots of lost files.
The others are more of a  personal preference as to interface - for the most part they found approximately
the same number of files.
Some need installation ,some are just a single .EXE.
Preferably they should all be run outside the partition that lost the files.

Not sure if it answered your question, but hope it will help someone.

Peter E.