Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:19:43 -0700
Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should.  When MS CEO was asked why they come out with new OS's instead of fixing the bugs in the existing ones, he said "we are a software company. That's how we make our living."

Personally, I like a bug-free, upgraded XP SP-3 w/ IE-8 for an older system.  That's what I am still using on a 2005 Laptop which keeps up with a newer HP and Lenova preloaded with Win7 and twice my RAM.

I love the accessibility options with XP, what with My Computer, Control Panel, etc.  It is easier for me to clean or fix it, and I hate Webpage look and feel of Win7.  Still miss Win98SE I guess.

I think keeping your hardware maxed and up-to-date and using updated XP, will give you better performance on an older PC than upgrading it to a new OS.

But this is personal preference and if you must upgrade OS, look at your RAM expansion capabilities, separate Video Card potential, and HD age, or you may have a very slow system.  You can find powerful replacement upgrades pretty cheap these days.

David

--- On Thu, 4/12/12, Ivan Berger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Ivan Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [PCSOFT] Upgrading from XP at last--advice needed
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 1:58 PM

I've been planning to upgrade my Dell T3400 workstation from XP Professional.  Dell assures me that it will work with either 32- or 64-bit Windows 7, so I presume it will also work with Windows 8. So now that Win 8 is just about here:

1) I'm inclined to Win 7 Pro because Win 8 will presumably be as buggy as any new OS, and because I don't plan to go to touch screens -- but are there any compelling reasons to go to Win 8?

2) Based on Microsoft's past practice, is Win 7 most likely to (a) drop in price when Win 8 comes out, (b) suddenly disappear when Win 8 comes out, or (c) stick around for a few months at the same price?

3) I think I am better off with 64-bit; at the very least it would let me upgrade from my current 4 GB of RAM to 16 GB.  But how do I find out whether there are 64-bit drivers for my current peripherals?

-Ivan

                   Digest mode - visit our web site:
                  http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                         support at our website: