Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:23:02 -0400
At 20:52 07/30/01, Dianne Gronfors wrote:
>I can get on line, retrieve and send email but when I try to get
>onto the net, it just keeps trying and never gets past 4% or so.
>The screen stays white.  I use Netscape and have it set to start
>on a blank page...

Hi Dianne

What happens if you try to go to a real URL instead of a blank
page?

Next time you open Netscape, click the "Stop" button to kick
it out of attempting to load that blank page, and then enter
a real URL in the location window and hit Enter. Try something
like www.microsoft.com or www.amazon.com for example.

This is only worth trying if you are sure that (as Sue suggested
you check) there is not more than one copy of Netscape running.
(Please take her advice and look to see if there is more than
one Netscape showing in the <Ctrl><Alt><Del> Close Program
window.) I've had that bug and it really does result in the exact
same symptoms that you have.) I suspect that Kelly's advice might
help if Netscape won't completely close when you tell it to.
(Killing it in the Close Program window does work though.)

Here's something else to try...

Hit the Netscape "Stop" button. Go to Edit, Preferences,
and put "C:\" (without the quotes!) as your home page and
then tell Netscape to open at your Home page. Netscape should
then show the directory of your hard drive when it opens.
If that doesn't work, use "file:///C|/" instead of "C:\".
Again, no quotes. If it works, it's just about as fast as
starting on a blank page.

Maybe there was something wrong with the blank page thing...
or maybe you couldn't surf the web because your network
DNS settings were off...or you have Netscape set to use
a proxie (go to Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Proxies
and see what's checked off and entered).

Does Internet Explorer browse correctly? (If so, your Network
settings are okay and just Netscape is screwed up.) Maybe you
could use IE to download Netscape again and reinstall it on
top of itself. If that doesn't help, try again but uninstall
Netscape first and do a clean install. (Do drag a copy of your
Netscape users folder to a safe place on your hard drive
first, then delete the original user folder from it's default
location so that any potentially bad user settings will be
killed off. You can replace your bookmarks file later...from
the saved User folder.

If you have Windows 98, run the System File Checker and check
that all dll files are up to date. (Type SFC in the Start, Run
window, and then tell it to check all system files. If any
are older than those that came with Windows, tell Windows to
restore the original. Have your Windows CDROM handy.

      Two asides:

      The fact that you can get email does not 100% guarantee
      that your network settings are correct...but that gets
      complicated.

      I applaud your use of Netscape. There was a time that I
      swore that I'd never use IE. However, although I still
      have Netscape on my system, I do use IE5 most of the time.
      The day finally did come where I realized that IE5 is
      much more stable...and secure. (I don't use either
      Netscape or Microsoft mail software however.)

At this point list members are going to need more information
to help you further.

What version of Netscape are you running? What kind of computer
do you have (486, Pentium, Pentium II or III, K5, K6, K6-2,
etc....and what speed in MHz)? What operating system do you
use (Windows 3.1, 95a, 95b, 98, 98SE, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, etc.)?

What kind of Internet access do you have (phone modem or
cable or DSL broadband)? Do you use AOL or some other provider
that uses proprietary software for the dialer and network
settings?

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: