Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Joe Farnham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 01:55:14 -0400
Thomas Ray Shenk wrote:

> Recently, a friend lost access to one of his com ports.  Of course it is
> the one the modem is on.  He is running Win 95 OSR1.  As far as he
> remembers he did nothing to disable the port, it just quit working.  We
> know its the port because I ran some diagnostics from the modem setup
> area that is under control panel and the computer tells us it is unable
> to communicate with the port.  Any ideas?

Thomas,
The first thing I would do is power the unit down...remove the case
cover..remove the retaining screw that holds the modem in place..remove the
telephone wires..STATIC GROUND YOURSELF...( I ground my forearm on the case
while working inside for the lack of a static wrist strap..which I gave
away)  remove the modem.
Look on the modem card for socketed chips.
If they are present, place the modem on a flat surface and gently push on
the center of the chip to resocket them.
GROUND YOURSELF..replace the modem, wires ,screw, and case cover.
This is the simplest and cheapest remedy.  The contacts tend to build up a
microscopic oxidation, especially in the winter.  Simply removing the card
and replacing it will scuff the contacts and create a new connection. HTH
Joe Farnham