Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:14:45 -0700
  There are at least three ways that an email program might try to "include"
images in an HTML-formatted email.  Each can break (producing little red
Xes) in its own way(s):

1.  Include the image as an attachment in the message.  Attempt to construct
links to it in the HTML text, which a *compatible* recipient email client
can follow to extract and display the images.  Note that this requires not
just that the recipient's email program be able to display HTML, but that it
handle attachments in a compatible fashion, or perform some mapping of image
links in the HTML body.

2.  Include links to images offered by an HTTP (web) server.  This can
greatly reduce the size of the email -- especially if it's going to multiple
recipients, but it means that the images can only be seen if the recipient
is currently connected to the Internet.  This won't work for anyone who
dials in to download their messages, and then reads them off-line.
  Also, since a lot of spam and spyware works this way, many email clients
(or client-side firewalls) will block the client's attempt to retrieve the
image....

3.  Include a local link to the image residing on the sender's hard drive.
Even if the drive is shared and mounted by the recipient, there's no
guarantee that it will have the same drive letter on the recipient's
machine, so this approach can hardly ever work -- basically, an email
sending program that does this is probably just broken.

  The thing is, unless one knows the sender's and the receiver's email
programs, and how they're configured, it's hard to guess whether it *can*
work, let alone why it doesn't in some particular case.

David Gillett

                       http://freepctech.com/rode