Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 02:16:10 -0400
At 11:08 05/20/03, Robert Lendrim wrote:
>I use Eudora 4.3.2 for my email. I normally handle my email
>on a desktop. I will be on the road for a few days and would
>like to use a laptop to receive, and possibly send email.
>When I get home I would like to integrate the messages from
>the laptop into the desktop Eudora program.
>My questions are: Where and how does Eudora store messages?
>Can individual messages be transferred? What's the easiest
>way to integrate those messages?

Hi Bob

One thing you could do is save all your emails on your ISP's
mail server until you get home. Open Eudora (on your laptop)
and go to Tools (in the menu bar), then Options, Incoming Mail,
and check the box "leave mail on server".

Now you can download mail to the laptop, read it, save it,
etc. but it will not get deleted from your mailbox on the
ISP's server and when you get home you can download all the
emails again, onto your desktop computer. When you download
them to the desktop computer, they'll get deleted from the
server because the desktop is still configured to send the
delete command after downloading each message. Note that you
won't download any message twice to the laptop because the
mail program is smart enough to not download the same message
twice. But they're still there until they get deleted.

This is not a good idea if you get tons of mail...because
sooner or later your mailbox (on the server) will fill up
and possibly get corrupted. Or your ISP will empty it after
it gets past the maximum size allowed to you. (It might take
weeks for this to happen.)

A more elegant way would be to download the emails to your
laptop (deleting them from the server then and there) and
then transfer them from the laptop to your desktop when you
get home. This is easy to do if you create a special mailbox
inside your laptop Eudora. Suppose you run Eudora and click
Mailbox in the menu bar. Choose "New" and then name the new
mailbox "Laptop" (without the quotes). Now save all emails
that you get on the road into this mailbox.

When you get home, open the laptop's Eudora folder. (Not the
program; open the folder where your Eudora files are. By
default this is probably c:\program files\Eudora.) Now copy
the two files

c:\program files\eudora\Laptop.mbx and
c:\program files\eudora\Laptop.toc

from the laptop into the Eudora folder on your desktop.
(Transfer the files via Ethernet or by floppy desk, etc.)
When you next run Eudora on your desktop, you'll find a
mailbox called "Laptop" and inside it will be all the messages
you saved.

The Eudora messages that you saved are stored in one text file
called (in this example) Laptop.mbx. You can read this file
with Notepad but the messages and their headers will run into
each other and will generally be very difficult to read. The
formatting (how the messages are separated and sorted) is
stored in a "table of contents" file, called (in this case)
Laptop.toc. Just putting these two files into your desktop's
Eudora folder creates a mailbox with messages inside it that
you can comfortably read while Eudora on the desktop is running.

There are a few situations where things get more complicated.
Attachments are saved in C:\program files\eudora\Attach (unless
you name it something else or specify a different location).
And embedded graphics are stored in a folder called
c:\program files\eudora\embedded. If you open messages and don't
see expected attachments or graphics, you might have to copy
the contents of these files from your laptop into those folders
of the same name on your desktop.

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: