Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 00:07:43 -0800
Some time back I was asked a similar question. That question was "I have "Client
for Microsoft Networks" as my primary login, and my computer doesn't stop at
boot time and give me the login box. Do I really need to have "Windows" as my
primary login?"

The answer to him, and the answer to your question is that the entire Win95
networking setup sometimes does things it isn't really designed to do (and vice
versa).  So in his case, using "Client" wasn't interfering with his bootup.  In
your case, not having "Client" installed isn't interfering with your ability to
connect.  So, for both of you: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

However, these are exceptions. They may be common exceptions, but it isn't the
way the whole Win95 networking concept was designed to work. The *design* is
that if you are using Dialup Networking and TCP/IP protocol in order to use your
modem to connect to another modem, you are networking. If you are networking,
you should have a "Client" of some sort installed in order to manage your
password file. If your "network" is Dialup Networking, that client should be
"Client for Microsoft Networks".  If you aren't on a physical Local Area
Network, or if you don't want to type a password in every time you boot, you
should use "Windows" as your login.

This probably isn't clear, but that's because the concept is a little weird.
Sometimes Win95 works when it isn't really supposed to.  Nevertheless, there is
still a "right" way to make it work.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego