Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:39:19 -0500
I have been working with Vista for a few months.

My advice is:

1) If you are thinking of upgrading to Vista, don't.
Unless you have a good reason to upgrade, you should wait
it out a while.

2) If you are thinking of buying a new computer with Vista,
do.  This will save you having to upgrade at a later date.
However, if you have some software that you want to run
on the new computer, check with the vendor to make sure
that it is compatible with Vista before you buy the Vista
computer.

Some observations:

I don't think that Creative sound cards  (Sound Blaster)  are
compatible with Vista yet. (Mine is not working.)  I am
certain that it is just a matter of time, but, perhaps, the older
ones are just too integrated into the hardware to ever be
made compatible with a firmware upgrade.  This pretty
much rules out avid gamers using Vista.

Some software will not run with some versions of Vista.
For example, "Counting at Bridge" by Mike Lawrence,
published in 1992, will not work with my new HP
notebook with Vista Ultimate, but will work with my
desktop running Home Premium.

"Starry Night" says that version 6 (probably an Apple
program that uses Quicktime to run on a PC?) will not
work on Vista.  "Rosetta Stone" foreign language
software says that it will load and run manually, but
not using their installer.

My wife has been running both "Oblivion" and "iTunes"
software with no apparent problems.

So, it is clear that you need to know how deep the pond is
before you jump in head-first!

Some of the security features could be major annoyances.
For example, you have to click on a permission box to
say that you want to do some things.  Also, you have to
have administrator privileges to do many things, which
requires a password.  Since my home computers are
relatively safe, this is no problem, as my passwords
are trivial.  In an office environment, this could become
a real pain in no time.

Also, Vista users can expect a performance hit over XP.

Tom's Hardware Guide and ExtremeTech both have
much to say about Vista and would be good places to
start for anyone who is faced with a decision.

HTH

Dean Kukral