Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:52:16 +1000
Rick wrote:
><<I have to respectfully disagree....MS has changed what they call spyware
>and are leaving some of the
>"offenders" in...>>

I rather thought that was one of the nice things about this software.  In
doubtful cases, it leaves the decision to the user, whilst giving useful
info (and not just meaningless jargon) on each item found. Its programmers
seem to be making a real effort at being user-friendly--a refreshing change
for Microsoft.

It's often a grey area as to whether or not a piece of software is
"spyware"---in itself a rather vague concept, capable of various definitions.

I do not consider that a program which reports useful info back to a
reputable home is spyware---but many will disagree with that. I do not need
to be paranoiac about security---there's nothing on this computer to
protect. Others will have different needs.

All I can say is that previous to installing MsAntispyware, I was running
Spybot, Spyware Guard, Startup Monitor, and Previx all in their active
screening modes (and occasionally others as well). I sometimes frequent
some very dubious sites (all in the interests of scientific research, of
course!) and often download curious software which might look interesting
at the time.  When I ran these programs in their full scan modes, each
would often find several nasties that had slipped through, though never
anything of disastrous proportions. It was interesting to see what some
would deem spyware whilst others would not.

Since running the Microsoft one, and de-activating each of the others, I've
found that remarkably little now gets through. The difference is quite
noticeable.  After running the Microsoft full scan, neither Spybot, Ewido
nor AdAware ever seem to find anything---all are, of course, fully updated.

In addition, the Ms Antispyware keeps me much better informed with alerts
whenever any doubtful file tries to either run or install itself into
untoward places. This is something other spyware programs seem to lack. I
find it keeps a nice balance between being overly intrusive whilst being
fully protective.

The other thing I really like about it is its unobtrusive updates.  It's
the only program on this computer which I will allow to auto-update.

If the gurus at Microsoft consider certain programs to be safe, and give me
their reasons why, that's good enough for me.

Others may and will disagree.  What a boring place it would be if we all
had the same requirements.

Don Penlington

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml