Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Tom Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 22:46:40 -0800
At 12:51 PM 1/1/03 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a multi-part question regarding mp3 files. What I would like to do is
>take my own music CDs and turn some of the songs into mp3 files that could
>then be burned to a CDR for use on my computer. I have done a google search
>but am unclear if I can accomplish this feat. My theory is that if each mp3
>song is about 5 - 10 MB, I should be able to store ~60 to 120 songs on each
>CD. But the software I have seen all seems to want to convert the mp3 file
>back to a wav file to store on the CD. This would seem to contradict the
>reason the song was ripped from CD to mp3 conversion in the first place. So,
>here are the specific questions I hope to get some help and clarification:
>
>1 - Is is possible to store the mp3 on a CD and then play them on the
>computer?

Yes, I do it all the time. Burning software allows you to burn as MP3 or CD
Audio (as well as data, etc...

>2 - If so, what software is required (Both to create the mp3 and to store to
>a cd)?

I use 2 pieces of software to accomplish what you want to do. Ripping
software that extracts the song from the CD , called dbpoweramp and then
burning software called Easy CD creator. Their are many others you can try.
Their is also an all in one program called MusicMatch  Jukebox.

>3 - How many songs could I expect to store on a single CDR?

That depends on what bit rate they are extracted. 128 is the default
(usually) and the size 1.5 to 5 mb per song depending in length the higher
the bit rate the better song quality and the larger the file. For most
people 192 seems to be the trade off between sound quality and file size.

>4 - Any pitfalls I should be aware of to make this process go smoothly?

I suggest ripping and burning with no other programs operating. I ripped
and burned in the background with success, but sometimes not and its a pain
if you spend all this time ripping and burning and then find out it doesn't
work

Cheers,

Tom Watson

                     support at our newest website: