Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
generalstuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:12:56 -0400
Hi John & all who are following this thread,

I found out (in my quest) that clipbrd.exe is just/ONLY a clipboard VIEWER that views the clipboard, which is just/only a SPACE for applications to use if they choose to implement cut/copy/paste for a given application.  Clipomatic, etc.  are also just clipboard VIEWERS, which have restored the functions that were dropped from MS's clipboard viewer and also added more functions.

For me, Ctl+C behaves just exactly the same as ctl-click-copy with the mouse - I thought they both activated the same subroutine, like any hot-key normally does, but maybe not.

However, it turns out the clipboard CAN handle text with images with right-click-copy.  I tried copy/paste FROM a Wordpad document that I had pasted from the internet (at a prior time when internet copy WAS working) and it will paste the text with embedded images just fine - even in Word 2003.

However, I could never get the embedded image to actually show in the clipboard viewer itself (even though I could still paste the text+image after looking at it) - those viewing features do appear to have been disabled in this viewer, which is what led me to blame the clipboard at first.

It is the APPLICATION doing the copying/cutting that is the problem, not clipboard or Windows, per se.

It is Internet Explorer that has been changed to now fail to put the embedded objects into the clipboard along with the text (whether you use mouse or keyboard - I tried Ctrl+C in IE also).

This forces Word 2003 out to the internet for a link.  Of course, you can't read the document again without going to the internet to resolve the link to the image (since it is no longer embedded in the text).

Which makes perfect sense for MS's purposes - MS can affect ALL programs that can receive internet pastes from the clipboard by removing this feature from IE (for IE users).  It would make even older programs such as Word 2000 refuse to paste without internet access.  Of course, it would also make non-internet aware apps (like Wordpad) just plain not work for the purpose at all (until MS changes that too).   MS is determined to eventually have complete access to our PCs through the applications we run.  Older apps, such as Word 2000 don't have the code to provide the kind of access MS wants, but the newer ones (Word 2003) do and will.  Most software vendors, naturally, are all for it.  The original idea of "Trustworthy Computing" was to eliminate piracy by providing MS and other vendors with the ability to remotely disable their applications on our PCs and delete files created with their applications from our PCs via code in their applications which can be accessed if we are forced to give the apps internet access.  The "Trustworthy" means trustworthy for vendors, not for you and me.  The implications of the ability to do such a thing AT ALL is the Orwell-type-of-scary.

I asked a Microsoft rep what would happen if I forgot to activate my copy of Word 2003, and she said to me, "We would disable your PC" - her words verbatim.  Of course, I don't think they are at that point yet, but that is the goal of Longhorn's "Trustworthy Computing" and the "Fritz Chip" that will be hardwired into future motherboards to prevent your bypassing it all with hacks.  I hate it, because from the trial I like Word 2003, but I'm going back to Word 2000.  And I'm still looking for what do do about the new version of IE's copy problems.

I'm wondering if other browsers, such as Firefox will cut text with embedded objects to the clipboard - anybody know?  They wouldn't have the same motivation to remove that feature that MS has.

AnnaSummers