Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:30:57 -0700
I would try more extensive cleaning before anything else.

Three additional spyware programs are AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy
(activate the "immunization"), and Microsoft Defender.

Two programs that include registry cleaners are jv16 from
www.macecraft.com (free trial period) which I use on "aggressive"
without any problems (for a first use run the registry cleaner at least
twice) and Easy Cleaner from Toni Arts (free). BTW The other uses within
these two programs are also very good.

After all this, you may still have to reset your desktop background to
"none" and then back to the background you want.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

C Gauba wrote:
> Hello all - need help.
>
> My PC has been attacked by a Trojan (or rather by more than one).
> Despite having AVG antivirus etc it seems I wandered onto a dangerous
> site and downloaded malware. Here's what I saw:
>
> 1. My desktop had something called "Search & Kill" which claimed to be
> a spyware detector and started scanning my system, reporting spyware,
> and "recommending" it be purchased to remove the problems
>
> 2. My desktop turned bright red (from its usual pictorial wallpaper),
> with a big bold spyware warning and a recommending to immediately get
> "Razz" (at a price, of course). Icons etc displayed and worked
> normally for the most part, but this in-your-face warning continued
> and my desktop wallpaper couldn't be displayed
>
> 3. My browser (IE) had been hijacked, with various links no longer
> working or going to clearly inappropriate sites.
>
> I obtained and installed SPYWARE DOCTOR from PC Tool and ran a full
> scan (it took ages, and involved stopping and re-scanning in 'safe'
> mode; but it was finally completed). The situation now is:
>
> 1. "Search & Kill" seems to have gone, totally
> 2. The bright red screen and demand to buy "Razz" has gone. However,
> the wallpaper which appears normally during power-on is overlaid as
> soon as the icons appear, although the screen is now not red but a
> neutral grey/white screen, i.e. just like the red "Razz" screen
> without the colour, warning, and "buy me" text box
> 3. My browser may still have re-directional problems, though I'm not
> too sure - some clicks just don't seem to work any more (redirection
> being blocked by my software?)
>
> From past correspondence on this forum I know that to recover from
> browser direction I may need to manually edit the Registry and look
> for obscure buried DNS re-direction. Question: how do I do this ??
>
> My other question would be how to get my normal display back. Spyware
> Doctor seems to have removed most of Razz but not vthe damage it
> caused. Somehow Razz has patched something which loads this screen
> (window?), which now overlays the wallpaper (but not the icons) - how
> do I get rid of it ? By the way; it is active not passive as it
> appears to 'blink' from white to gray and back.
>
> I am running Windows XP Home edition (version 5.1 with SP 2) on an IBM
> Thinkpad R32 notebook. This has a Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz and 640 Mb of
> RAM.  I use AVG antivirus and now Spyware Doctor as well. I also have
> Registry Mechanic (which reports no problems) and I used Registry
> Cleaner to find "Security Agent Manager" which I removed.
>

> Hope someone can help!
>
> Regards -  = Cheeta Gauba / [log in to unmask]
>
>        The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
>           web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
>              Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                 our special coffee cups and mouse pads
              with the PCSOFT logo...  at a great price!!!