Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:50:08 +0300
On 25 Jun 2000, at 17:10, Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>  From Steve Gibson
>
> Believe it or not, EVEN IF we have Windows set to show file extensions --
> as we all probably do -- Windows STILL won't show an extension of ".shs",
> which is some thing called a "Shell Scrap Object".
>
> As a test you can easily do what I did: Create a text file with notepad
> that says "this is just a test" then save it with the name "test.txt.shs"
> and all you'll see is "test.txt"!!! -- thus causing the ".shs" file to
> appear to be a simple (and safe) text file.
>
> Anyway ... since a "Shell Scrap Object" is a scriptable thing, there's a
> NEW fast propagating virus making the rounds of Outlook users, and although
> we Eudora users can't be used to propagate the nasty thing, our computer
> *WILL* still execute the virus!!!
>
> Basically, this means that it's no longer even safe for us to open anything
> which APPEARS to be a text file attachment!

This still depends on the program. In pegasus the full filename with
extension will appear.

Anyway, there is a way to cause those filenames to appear with their
extensions even in Windows.

Customly, the following files will not appear with their extensions even if
you set to see extensions:

.lnk - Link (Desktop/Start Menu Shortcut)
.mad - Access ShortCut Module
.maf - Access ShortCut Form
.mam - Access ShortCut Macro
.maq - Access ShortCut Query
.mar - Access ShortCut Report
.mat - Access ShortCut Table
.pif - Piffile (Personal Information File MS-DOS Shortcut to MS-DOS)
.shb - Shortcut into a document
.shs - Shell Scrap Object
.url - Internet Shortcut

Here is what to do in order for those extensions to appear:
Run Regedit.
Search for the phrase "NeverShowExt" (without the quote)
in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for the various file types, and rename the
appropriate instances from "NeverShowExt" to "AlwaysShowExt".
Comment: If both the String Value "NeverShowExt" and
"AlwaysShowExt" appear for the same file type,  the "NeverShowExt"
will hold.

Uzi
http://members.iol.co.il/uzip/

                     visit our download web page at: