Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dale Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:26:00 -0500
Mark,

The instructions for NAV state that if there is a virus already existing in
the system it will find it and will give a warning before setup.  The
instructions also tell how to eliminate the virus BEFORE continuing with the
installation.  Incidentally, scanning software doesn't only look for changes
in files on the system.  There is particular code that makes up viruses that
the software also finds.  Also, buying a new anti-virus package off the
shelf is not going to give you ancient definitions.  They should be
reasonably current.  Once the virus is eliminated, the installation can be
done and updated definitions can be downloaded.

Dale

>this confuses me because i've heard that it's bad to install an AV program
>and expect it to clean your system if your computer is infected prior to
>installation.  is this true or not?  i understand that the program scans
>your system when you install it (at least, NAV does), but considering the
>software didn't just come out yesterday and the singature files on the
>original disks aren't updated, doesn't that seem to hold true?  also, for
AV
>progs that put fingerprints on files and directories to note any changes,
if
>the file is already infected, it would appear as normal to the program
since
>that is how it appeared upon installation, wouldn't it?
>
>mark simmons
>
>Dale Bryant wrote:
>>
>> >I have a friend who believes they have a virus in there system.  Is
there a
>> >way I can remove the virus without erasing the entire hard drive?  They
>> have
>> >purchased Norton's Anti-Virus Software but have not installed it yet.
Any