Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Larry Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 05:07:02 -0500
Joe Pearson wrote:

> I have been unable to completely defragment my 800MB disk since I got it
> ... which is obviously not recently.  I carefully close all programs
> visible on the screen, in the system tray and in the c-a-del task list.
> The only things left are the power icon in the systray (I'm using a
> laptop), explorer and systray in the task list.  The OS is Win95 without
> SP1.
>
> Defrag runs fine except that every 5 minutes (to the second) it stops
> and restarts from the beginning - reading the FAT table, and scanning
> from the start of the disk all the files already defragged - this takes
> longer in each 5 minute cycle, so each achieves progressively less.
> I've left it overnight and still not got beyond 70% of the disk.
> Looking at all files on the disk by most recent date the only file that
> seems to be updated is SYSTEM.DAT.
>
> What could possibly be causing this?

Larry Stewart responds -

While I've never experienced this, just on the off chance, why not check
what your virtual memory is set at? Could it be that there is simply not
enough room for WIN95 to move data to a swap space while the data is
being transferred? Go to Control Panel; System; Performance and finally,
Virtual Memory. Chances are the settings are too low and you should take
the option to have Windows manage the size - or if Windows is managing
it already, try the alternate option and put in your own virtual memory
size. I believe the standard is to make it at least one-and-a-half times
the size of your physical RAM.

I'd be interested to know what the final result is on this one.

Good luck,
Larry Stewart