Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:28:58 -0500
At 22:55 03/13/01, Brad Loomis wrote:
>When I log on as myself, or as the administrator, Zone Alarm will ask me
>if I want " Services and Controller app" to connect to 207.217.77.82:53,
>followed by "Generic Host Process for Win32 services" to the same IP
>address. I connect thru a Linksys 4 port router to my DSL Modem.
>My question is what are these services and do I need to allow them to
>pass? I usually say no with out any notable ill effects.
>That and if only ZA would remember to not ask even with the check box
>checked for Outlook to check my mail, every time I start the program.

Hi Brad

Port 53 is used for DNS (Domain Name Services) to convert domain
names to numerical IP addresses). 207.217.77.82 is probably an
Earthlink server. I would guess that the two programs you mentioned
are used by Win2k at logon for DNS. (They are in my ZA Pro program
list as well.)

You may connect correctly after denying permission because of the
router. It stores the DNS server's IP addresses and maybe it takes
care of these things even when ZA blocks your computer from doing it.

If Zone Alarm doesn't remember your settings (with the box checked),
you might try deleting the three files in the folder
"C:\WINNT\Internet Logs". (Do it with za.exe, vsmon.exe and minilog
not running. First tell ZA not to load at boot, then reboot and delete
the log and database files.) The three files will be recreated when you
next start Zone Alarm. You'll have to go through all your program
permissions again. Problems like this can happen if you upgrade
Zone Alarm without removing the old version first...and apparently
for other reasons as well. (Did you change your computer's name
recently?) Sorry to be so vague here...but I have only a vague
understanding of this stuff.

I've found that I'm often asked for permission twice before it's
remembered. (Once for the Local Zone and once for the Internet Zone?)
Also, if you don't give necessary programs "server permission", you'll
keep being asked for permissions. Some programs are related to Explorer
or Internet Explorer and depend on their permission properties as well.

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml