Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 22:10:35 +1000
Windows95B.

In my Win.ini file, under "ModuleCompatability", there are about 60
listings, most of which I don't understand.

Some of these, for example,are names like Archangle, George, Kiddesk,
Kidstype, Lionking, Msartist, Roulette, USA, Voice, (I have no voice
software), and many others with meaningless names.

I have never had any games or software with these names or anything like.
Are any of these "Modulecompatability" listings in Win.ini necessary?

Nearly all are followed by "=0x0002". What do these numbers signify?

Could I delete this whole section of Win.ini?

There is also a "Compatability" sections with about the same number of
listings, though different names, mostly meaningless. eg. 3dpc, aldsetup,
approach, and so on. These are all followed by diffetent numbers.

Also, there are 3 lines in "Extensions", namely .txt, .bmp, and .pcx. None
of these point to the software with which these extensions are actually
associated.  I suspect that this section also could be deleted?

There are 2 programs listed under the "programs" heading. These are Metapad
and Stuffit Expander. What is the effect (if any) of this section?

There is also a section which refers to "hjkhj". Does anyone have any idea
what this refers to?

As far as I can see, there are no bad effects, but I don't like any
extraneous things being loaded if they do not contribute to my general
welfare. I wonder if boot time would be noticeably improved. It's pretty
fast, though there's about 4 seconds of extra HD activity after all desktop
icons appear and everything appears to be loaded. I have no real complaints
there.

If I deleted the whole of Win.ini, would that prevent Win95 from loading?
Would a new Win.ini be created clear of all this (presumably) junk? The
"Run" and "Load" lines are empty, as expected.

One program stores its password there, but that could easily be restored.

I'm half inclined to make a backup, then simply delete these sections
entirely, and see what happens (my usual approach to curious things). Then,
if anything doesn't work, restore those lines. The trouble is, so many of
these lines are meaningless, I could be floundering for a long time.

To summarize:
How much, if any, of Win.ini is essential to Win 95/98? (I have an idea
it's a throwback to the past, and that most, if not all, of its functions
have been taken over by the registry).
Are any "ModuleCompatability" or "Compatability" listings essential?
Am I in trouble if I wipe these sections?
What do the numbers after these listings mean?
What is "hjkhj"?
Does the "Programs" heading have any useful effect?

Not worried, just curious. I don't like my computer thinking it's more
intelligent than me.

Don Penlington
(From the at beach Surfers Paradise).
Free computer tutorials, fractals, icons, and beautiful Queensland beaches at
http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/

                       http://freepctech.com/rode