Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 18:52:55 -0700
On 7 May 99, at 8:34, Richard M. Cooke wrote:

> Yesterday while online my computer screen suddenly shutdown (blue screen)
> with this script: "An exception OE has occurred @ 0028:COO182FB in VXD
> IFSMGR (01)+000036DF.  This was called from 0028: CICA240C in VXD
> PPPMAC(04)+00007AE4."  I pressed a key, as instructed, and the screen
> returned to normal.  This has not occurred before and I wonder if this
> presages more of the same or possibly something more serious.  Any thoughts
> on this?  Thank you.

  An exception 0E is some sort of invalid memory reference; it may indicate a
corrupted file or improperly installed driver.
  IFSMGR is the "Installable File System Manager", which provides a way for
enhanced file systems (such as FAT32) to connect to the low-level code that
handles tracks and sectors on a drive.
  But PPPMAC is almost certainly a part of dial-up networking!  (PPP = Point-
to-Point Protocol, MAC = Media Access Control, normally part of Ethernet but
simulated for dial-up).  If these are talking to IFSMGR, it probably relates
to some issue about network file sharing.  This, in turn, means that the
culprit could really be a corrupted network packet, either due to telephone
line noise (although modern modems should catch and deal with that) or, just
possibly, some sort of network attack scenario.  Do you use IRC or ICQ?

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html