Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 00:26:02 +1000
Jim writes:

<<after 4 years, when I try to open word (in ms office 2000 small
business) I get a rude sound, plus window:  "this program has performed an
illegal operation >>

How much regular system maintenance have you done in those 4 years?

Such as:

1. Registry restoration.
2. Reformat.
3.  Eliminating all non-vital stuff from running while you are in Word
(which could be creating resource conflicts).
4. Uninstall and reinstall Word (or anything else which may be conflicting.)

Try rebooting with shift held down, to prevent all startup programs from
running---check alt/ctrl/del to check there's nothing else running except
Explorer and Systray, then open Word and see if the problem disappears. If
it does, that's pointing to a conflict with another program. Then it's
simple trial and error to identify the conflict.

You may be running too much in the background.

Whenever trouble-shooting,  it's a good idea to run the offending software
in isolation, then go from there.

More often than not, a simple registry restore (from a known good backup,
of course, saved from a time well before the problem started) or a
reinstall of the program will be all that's needed.

The fact that the registry errors indicate different registry locations
each time indicates to me that perhaps you have too many running programs
seeking limited resources---but that's no more than a wild guess. I'm sure
resources get chewed up the older a computer gets and accumulates more crud
in the registry and other important places. That's why it's important to
keep good copies of the registry with which to restore regularly.

These suggestions are general, not specific to Word, which has its own
internal problems already covered by other writers.

Don Penlington
Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>