Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Toomas Piibe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:14:35 +0300
From: "Marc Guise" <[log in to unmask]>

> On Friday 22 August 2003 05:07, you wrote:
> > I am thinking of abandoning Windows 98 and moving to Linux
> >
> > I was an OS/2 user until IBM abandoned the OS and I then reluctantly
became
> > a Windows user.

I think that IBM is not abandoned OS/2. I don't know how there but here almost
all bank ATM run on OS/2.  They only dropped it as desktop OS.

> > Which Linux distribution will make my transition most painless?
> >
> Firstly, go to Distrowatch http://www.distrowatch.com/. You'll find info on
> all the different versions of Linux plus reviews and download sites. I
weaned
> myself off Windows with Lycoris (very close to XP) and I've been using
> Mandrake for the last year.

I would recommend Mandrake but their financial troubles are serious.  But
distro is popular and there is large community support.  It is usually best
to correctly determine hardware so installation is troubles.

RedHat is most popular distro. It is good and it is not least significant that
most not-major distributions based on RH so you can get free help also
from not-RH users. If you are not very concerned about future of Mandrake
and/or frighten away possible installation problems if Your hardware is
more exotic, it is good choice.

Another good is Suse. In my opinion its development is oriented to servers
and even there is good workstation version it's orientation shows. Said to be
most popular in Europe. This distro is not downloadable .iso images so
setup from free CD-Rs is not possible. I use it downloading files FTP server
to another computer. There is Evaluation version .ISO what runs from
CD and stores some data on FAT partitions. Running from CD makes it slow.

Knoppix is single CD like Suse Evaluation but has much more programs packed
on it. Not stores data on HD but has possibility store some hardware settings.
Recommended if you want to see what Linux is and what some popular programs
do.

Don't know nothing about Lycoris.

My recommendation is Mandrake for first try but I can't say that  is it best
for You.

Toomas

> Keep in mind there is a learning curve, as with any OS. (Think back to your
> first Windows)
>
> Very helpful forums, if you choose Lycoris: http://www.lycoris.org/
>
> or Mandrake: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/
>
> Good Luck