Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 04:35:00 -0500
At 23:52 04-02-98 -0800, Roxanne wrote:
>Is there a way to change the standard manilla folder icon for the Win95 desktop
>icon?  I would be interested in any of the following: Registry editing
>instructions, a URL telling how to do it, or some sort of freeware/shareware
>software that can accomplish it.

Hi Roxanne

The shareware Microangelo Engineer utility will allow you to change shell icons
(recycle bin, control panel, printer folder, default executable, open folder,
closed folder, etc.). Information and download at
http://www.impactsoft.com/muangelo/muangelo.html

Or with Regedit, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons

Highlite "Shell Icons" and in the right pane you will see something like

0           "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,37"
11          "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,10"
13          "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,13"
3           "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,11"
35          "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,12"
37          "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,19"
4           "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,18"

There are 40 items. The first column is for particular shell icons. For example 3
is "closed folder", 4 is "open folder",... Let me know if you want to know others.
The item on the right is the actual icon used for the specific shell icon. For
example, the open folder is the 18th icon stored in C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll.

To see what the icons in cool.dll (for example) look like, go to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll and right click on it's icon. Choose properties, then
Change Icon. Make sure that cool.dll is the file specified. (It might be shell.dll
instead.) Browse to cool.dll if necessary and then count (starting with the left
icon being number zero) through the icons that scroll horizontally through the window.

Edit the values in Regit to get an icon that you like.

I understand that you can change the single icon used for all folders, but you can't
change folder icons individually.

I think maybe you might find "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\shell.dll,XX" in your registry
instead of the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSYEM\cool.dll,XX" that I have. Whatever.

Regards,
Bill

                         Need help with PCSOFT:
                [log in to unmask]  or  http://nospin.com