Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:20:13 +1100
From: "Paul Roeth" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 2:50 AM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Upgrading OS in business environment

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I have a network of 13 computers in my office (TCP/IP).  All but one are
> using W98se.  The remaining one is using NT4.  As we expand it is becoming
> more and more difficult to find the W98 OS for new machines.  Rather than
> live like the Do Do bird it becomes necessary to upgrade the OS
environment
> across the board.  Since W98 there have been several iterations of MS's
OS.
> Further, we are using MS Office '97 software, primarily Excel, Word, and
> Access.  It is understood that the the producitivity software will have to
> follow this migration.  While I want to upgrade I don't want to render
> everyone into a vicious learning curve that will inhibit productivity.
>
> I would like to place 2 new machines with a new OS, on the network if
> possible, to acclimate the staff to the new software/OS.  I understand
there
> may be issues between versions of Office* (specifically, can upgrade files
> a newer version but not the other way around.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
> please).  Naturally, all files will be backed up and stored on a separate
> computer, left off the network after being copied over.
>
> So my questions are these;
> 1. What is the best OS to upgrade to with consideration to the
> afforementioned factors?

the best OS to go would be win2000 at the moment.

> 2. Can a new OS be installed on top of the former OS without compatability
> issues?

You'd better get clear installation of new OS (regardless which OS), upgrade
over top almost always create problems.

> 3. When the new OS is installed, do I need to upgrade the office software
> immediately and begin the import/replacement processing of existing files?

I don't see any of your current software would have problem work under new
OS.

> I realize I haven't covered all the bases here.  I've deliberately left
out
> "security" issues, knowing that I will implement them with any OS
installed.
> However, if anyone sees other issues I have overlooked in this writing
please
> feel free to comment.

take security issues in account, make sure apply all security fix, and there
are many good places around (which provide good info on security). best to
be safe than sorry.

Jun Qian