Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:41:54 -0500
how much memory do u have?

Stephen R Stanfield

-------Original Message-------

From: PCSOFT - Personal Computer software discussion list

Date: 10/30/04 03:07:01

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: [PCSOFT] slow PC

I have had this problem before and nobody ever got it right. They always
used to use,the wimp out system, "reinstall your original software" Since I
have over 30 gigs of files on here I am not too interested in that. I have a
Media Center PC M370n, 160 gig hardrive ,ATI 9200 video,AC97 audio,dvd
writer, cd rom, 2,8 gig. Anyway, it started with the media center not
working. Everything else seemed to work at this point. So I called for help.
The suggestions (HP) were numerous, tried many things. Lastly we removed the
media center folder and restarted, that did nothing. The final solution here
was to download SP2. so we did that , with our snail pace internet. It took
8 hours to do. I installed it., wholla! . the media center was back :). Then
 I tried various programs. Everything seemed to work.....Then I right
clicked on a file. I waited and

  waited .then the computer frozeup. Tried different things, including
restarting ...no dice!.called HP again . Tried various things, no difference
 So he suggested uninsalling the mouse and reinstall. So we did that, when
it came up ...no mouse function? I had to use keyboard commands to get to
things. could not get into the help center...no keyboard function for that.
So I had to call them on the phone. To shorten the story, we tried various
things, nothing worked, so he suggested doing a nondestructive restore ( the
regular system restore was not working either). So we did that reluctantly,
everything came back with all the original software of course. Had to
uninstall and reinstall software programs, anyway ...bottom line...now the
machine works sluggishly... I have defragged...ran spyware, virus checks..
nothing fixed it. The thing would come up eventually after a time with a
virtual memory error.  Evetything would get slower and slower. Then not work
 Everyone I ask says....soun

ds like you do not have enough memmory? WELL!! As I said , this worked fine
before!! So it is not a memory issue! Something is occupying system
facilities, somewhere. You can hear the computer working and working...just
to get up a folder? After I removed a large portion of the starup programs ,
it improved dramatically. Still though it hangs a bit at times. Now this
problem will take a person with special indepth knowledge of the inner
workings of the computer and its programs, to be able to suggest a solution
outside of the obvious for this problem. This also used to happen with my
compaq 333Mhz. It is sooooo annnoying, especially when nobody seems to know
the answer. If you have solution...if it is an obvious or simple one, it has
likely been tried. We have spent hours with technicians from HP on this.
They tried adding file patches,reloading things etc. I do not know if you
need anything else, let me know.

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>

                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>