Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:38:39 -0400
On Tuesday 07 September 2004 02:20 pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> System:
> Windows XP pro
> Norton Anti-v
> Spy bot
> Ad-aware
> Zone Alarm
>
> I have a bit of a mystery I'm hoping some one can solve.  Saturday I sent
> an email to a friend wanting a update on her Marine son.  She tried
> multiple times to email me back, each time my ISP sent it back saying she
> had an attached virus.  She was sending no attachments, however her letter
> to me was on fancy Marine stationary and with logos in it.

It sounds like your ISP's virus filter distrusts the stationery and/or logo.
Bear in mind that one of the main methods for propagating viruses and trojans
is to hide them in an attachment. Have your friend resend her letter, but
with her mail client (Outlook Express?) configured to send plain text. If
that gets through, you've identied the problem -- well, part of it.

>  Sunday morning
> I receive a email from juno (her ISP) saying that my mail was
> undeliverable because it may have Netsky attached, the email referenced
> was not one that I recognized.  After I had emailed my friend Saturday I
> had turned off my computer, it was not on again until Sunday morning.
> Norton is updated regularly.

It's quite likely that this is not related to the other incident. I suspect
that your name and email address has been spoofed (i.e., forged). One of the
many worms out there has found your name and address on some other computer
that it has infected, and is using it to send copies of itself to other names
it has harvested. Most spam uses spoofed addresses; I've even gotten spam
allegedly from me. While it is an illegal practice, it is almost impossible
to prevent. Unless you're getting a constant stream of them, ignore them.

>  By the way, I not on my computer writing
> this. =0))
> Questions:
> How do I tell if I have the Netsky virus?
> Does she have the Netsky virus?
> If one of us does, how do we get it off and how did we get it to begin
> with?

Make sure your AV definitions are completely up-to-date, and then run a
complete system scan. It is probably worthwhile to install another AV scanner
(AVG gets a lot of praise on this list, and it's free), and run a system scan
with it:

Google gave me some 44,600 hits on "norton netsky". The first link is well
worth a look:
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

I'm on digest so if you could send to this address direct it would
> help. Thanks so much for any and all help.  I'll try to stay calm! =0))
> Regina Long

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: