Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:17:14 -0800
On 11 Feb 98 at 18:37, Bret Innes wrote:

> 2nd - Drive X: using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.
> Brief details - This problem often occurs on more than one drive.
> Usually it is casued by a driver in Config.sys that Windows doesn't
> recognize, and is related to the above (1st) problem.

  I think this probably *is* the "additional message" referred to in
the first message.

  There are several possible causes.  Probably the most common -- but
not the only! -- cause, is using a drive overlay utility to allow a
drive larger than 528MB to be used with an older BIOS.  Most Pentiums
shouldn't need this, but there may have been some as recent as your
P100 that didn't include the necessary BIOS support ("LBA").

  The preferred fix is to make sure that you have LBA support, and
reformat the drive to use it.  Note that you will need to back up and
restore everything, or reinstall from the ground up -- your current
files will not survive this process.
  If your current BIOS doesn't support LBA, you have two main
choices:  locate an updated BIOS for your motherboard, or purchase an
adaptor card that includes an LBA add-on (also sometimes called ESCD
- Extended System Configuration Data).
  Continuing to live with your current configuration is, of course,
an option; adding memory may reduce the amount of paging activity and
so offset the slower disk access somewhat.

David G

          PCSOFT:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]