Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:29:56 +0000
Martha Knight did NOT write this:

Martha DID write this:

Jim wrote this:

> The jist of this thread/conversation has been a problem with Word 97
> changing the format of TEXT when it is moved. (As the subject line
> implies) It seems there is some confusion over what formatting is.
>
> Word has three different types of formatting.
> Page formatting (left/right margins, paper size, etc)
> Paragraph formatting (indents, line spacing, tab settings, etc)
> and TEXT formatting (bold, underlined, font, italic, size)
>
> A STYLE is a combination of paragraph AND text formats which
> Word "remembers" so that you can quickly change the appearance
> blocks of text all at once.
>
> Now that the stage is set....
>
> If you cut (or copy) text into an area that has a style applied to
> it, then the inserted text will pick up the formatting dictated
> by the style.
>
> If you cut (or copy) text into an area that has just been formatted
> by just using the format toolbar, then the inserted text will retain
> it's old formatting.
>
> Several people have alluded to viewing the hidden codes which
> turn on or turn off the TEXT attributes (font changes, bold on, etc.)
> But no one has actually said how it can be done.
>
> They are not in the end of paragraph mark.  That just stores paragraph
> format settings, nothing about the text itself.  And right mouse
> clicking will not show anything (text-wise) that is not already visible
> on the format tool bar.
>
> So, IF it's possible to "see" these hidden codes, then please tell
> us how to do it.

Now Martha writes this:
     For the person who wants to move text blocks without losing
their style characteristics (paragraph and text formatting), I say,
turn on the "show non-printing symbols" feature so you can see the
paragraph sign at the end of your text block, make sure to select it
with the text, and do your drag-and-drop or whatever. Easiest of
several approaches, IMO. This way the moved block will *not* take on
the characteristics of the style in effect in the new location, but
will keep the characteristics it had before the move.
     For the person wanting to know about or teach about use of
STYLES in Word, Word Help has some near-tutorials on this, so check
them out early in your research, read them in order. Quite
straight-forward.
     If there are folx who want to see CODE, or write raw
PostScript or TrueType, and really relish parsing scripts-- sounds
masochistic to me but I'm not a therapist so I can't help!
     But good look uncovering those bashful little code bits.
Martha Knight
Sound Ideas

          PCSOFT:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]