Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2010 00:32:52 -0400
Hi Regina,

Q1.Is the computer software world heading for 64-bits or will I be ok with 32-bits?
A. Yes, the trend is for 64 bits, however the majority is still 32 bits and will be for quite some time.
You'll be fine with 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine.
* Caveat : Where the exception comes in is with device drivers. 32 bit drivers won't work if the device was designed
strictly for 64 bit only and vice versa.
That goes for internal, as well as external hardware, such as scanners ,printers etc.
You'll find a good description here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions

Q2. If I am wanting to keep my old software am I stupid to keep XP or would it be smarter long
term to go with a new operating system?
A. You're not being stupid to keep XP and use your old software, but long term it would be advisable
to use a newer OS like Win7. Some of your software may well run on Win7.
Apart from that, you may well enjoy some of the improvements that Win7 has over XP.
Hence I suggested to use both.

Since you have some time to decide, your "home work" is to find a machine that will run both XP and Win7.
Ask for and get proof  in writing , that in fact the new computer can indeed run both.
If not available at time of purchase and you still want to use XP for some of your software, resort to the suggestions
in my previous post.

Suggestions that XP is unsafe are largely unfounded. While it is true that Win7 has more safeguards built in,
the user is in fact the weakest link in the chain. Unsafe practices are the greatest cause of malware and other infections.

Just as a point of interest, most of M$ updates for XP eg are for security. But most of them, my estimate is well over
90 % , are never exploited. They either are POC (Proof Of Concept) or sometimes not even that.
Don't forget that security firms as well as M$ have a large stake in this.
This is a multi-billion dollar industry and convincing the masses to buy and use security software is big money.
Case in point -just an example of hundreds:
Let's say you see this update for XP -if your settings are Custom and not automatic
Via the link provided, you can then check the full scope of this update. Notice this was marked "Critical)
After some digging through all the info, just look at the last paragraph.
If you were to check other updates ,you will find the same "story". cont'd below
KB956844
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS09-046.mspx
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-046 - Critical
Vulnerability in DHTML Editing Component ActiveX Control Could Allow Remote Code Execution (956844)

Q.When this security bulletin was issued, had Microsoft received any reports that this vulnerability was being exploited?
A. No. Microsoft had not received any information to indicate that this vulnerability had been publicly used to attack customers and had not seen any examples of proof of concept code published when this security bulletin was originally issued.
 So ,why was this "pushed" on XP users? Simply because M$ wanted to cover themselves in case somebody actually
exploited this perceived vulnerability. It's all a question of possible liability.
Most of the updates were never exploited ,but when applied ,often caused loss of functionality or created other havoc
for users.

My point? Don't be swayed by herd mentality. Some people are very quick to either ridicule or use
 disparaging remarks at people who use an older machine or older OS.
There are still millions of people using Win98 . So let them -it's no business of other people.
They are not paying the rent or the mortgage, buy their food or clothing etc.
If your computer is for personal use ,only YOU can or will decide what is best for you.

Peter E.